Prep. Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Yield 6 servings
- 1⁄4 cup anatto oil (recipe below)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed limes (squeezed calamansi or lime juice)
*juice from tamarind (1/4 cup) or tamarind paste (1 1/2 tbsp) is traditional
- 1 Teaspoon grated lime / lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ancho chilies, crushed, stemmed and seeded
- Anatto Seeds
- Put all marinade ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until smooth.
- Coat chicken evenly and let it rest in marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook over grill, basting with marinade regularly.