Prep. Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 60 minutes
Total Time 1 hr. 10 min.
Yield 4 servings
• 2 lbs. ox tripe (tripas)
• ¾ cups crushed peanuts
• 1 bunch baby boo choy or pechay
• 8 pieces string beans, cut into 2 inch length
• 1 small banana blossom chopped
• 1 medium Chinese eggplant, sliced
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 2 tbsps. annatto powder, diluted in 1½ cup water
• 1 cup water (or beef broth)
• 1 tbsp. beef powder or 1 beef cube
• 4 cups water for blanching the vegetables
• ¼ cup bagoong (shrimp paste)
• 3 tbsps. glutinous rice flour diluted in ¼ cup water
• ¼ cup peanut butter (optional)
- Combine the tripe, onion, crushed peanuts, annatto water, 1cup water (or beef broth), and beef powder in a pressure cooker or cooking pot.
- Apply heat then stir to mix the ingredient. If using a pressure cooker, cover the pressure cooker and pressure-cook the tripe for 35 to 40 minutes. If using an ordinary cooking pot, you will need to simmer the tripe for 120 to 150 minutes or until tender.
- While cooking the tripe, prepare the vegetables by boiling 4 cups of water in a separate cooking pot. Blanch the eggplant and string beans followed by the bok choy. Boil the banana blossoms for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain and then place in a plate; set aside.
- Once the tripe is tender, add the peanut butter and glutinous rice flour (diluted). Stir and continue to cook until the texture of the sauce reaches the desired texture.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Arrange the blanched vegetables on the side.
- Serve with bagoong. Share and enjoy!