Prep. Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Yield 4 servings
• 2 pieces ampalaya (bitter melon), cut into 2” length
• 2 pieces eggplant, cut into 2” length wedges
• 6-8 pieces okra, tops trimmed off or cut diagonally if
longer than 2” length
• 2 pieces tomatoes, cut in wedges
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon bagoong isda (thick salted fish sauce)
• 1 1/2 cup broth, shrimp, fish or pork
• 1 teaspoon ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for sauteing
- Saute the garlic, onion and tomatoes. Add the pork and saute for a minute.
- Turn the heat down and add the vegetables, layering them in the pan from the bottom in this order : ampalaya, okra, and eggplant.
- Add the broth and bagoong. Cover, let it boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still firm.
- Stir in the fish or shrimp. Season with ground pepper.
- Serve with rice.