Prep. Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hr. 10 min.
Total Time 1 hr. 25 min.
Yield 8 servings
• 3 cups glutinous-rice flour
• 1½ cup sugar
• ½ can 400g condensed milk
• 6 cups coconut milk
• 1 cup grated ube (purple yam)
• 2 tsps. annatto powder
• ½ tsp. anise extract
• ⅓ cup macapuno, drained and finely chopped
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
- In a large mixing bowl combine together glutinous-rice flour, sugar, condensed milk and coconut milk.
- Divide into 3 equal portions then place on 3 individual bowls.
- In the first bowl add grated ube, mix well until smooth
- In the second bowl add annatto powder and anise extract, mix well until smooth
- In the third bowl add macapuno, mix well until smooth
- Place the first mixture (purple) in a greased pan lined with cling wrap then place in a steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture sets. Remove from steamer.
- Add the second mixture (orange) on top of the steamed mixture, place back in the steamer and steam for 15 -20 minutes or until the mixture sets. Remove from steamer.
- Add the last mixture (white) on top of the steamed mixture, place back in the steamer and steam for 30 more minutes.
- Remove from steamer; let it cool before slicing and serving.
- In a pan desiccated coconut, toast using low heat until golden brown in colour.
- Serve sapin sapin topped with toasted coconut flakes.